Friday, May 21, 2010

Net Neutrality... why it matters




Today I was given a great update on the Media Democracy Program house at Proteus Fund and the powerful work they are doing. The Media Democracy Fund supports organizations advocating for the publicd rights in the digital age.  Net Neutrality is a key component to this Fund.  The work being supported by MDF is critically important in how we define ownership and access in the 21st Century.

Quick overview on Net Neutrality:
What opponents say:  Its unnecessary regulation; broadband providers have no interest in blocking content and information.

I must admit, at first I agreed that blocking access and content seemed like an antithesis to the Internet, and that maybe the need for regulation was a little Chicken Little.  Then I thought about what the interest of broadband providers might be.  I figured it was probably the interest of any business, to make as much money as they can.  And while blocking content may not be their first interest, protecting the public is not their first interest either.  I started imagining all the work The Urban Labs hopes to do, and how much harder it will be to do, if such a powerful tool is controlled by business and freaked out!

While I'm not educated on this issue enough to deeply debate the issue I will say that I am heartbroken at seeing the Congressional Black Caucus take a position against this issue.  The openess of the Internet must be protected.  Its important that we, who work in poor communities, learn some basic talking points on the issue and are able to push back on the arguments made against net neutrality.  While we all must continue our primary work, we must see net neutrality as the issue that will allow us to do our work in cyberspace...and if businesses have control, it may stop our work cold.

Check out color of change for more information on this fight... Take it seriously...  and try something for me, call your favorite CBC member and ask them why they are against net neutrality... I wasn't satisfied when with the answer I was given when I asked :)

























No comments:

Post a Comment